Everyone wants an airsoft gun that can shoot targets really far out and accurately. Therefore it would be really handy to know all the techniques used to achieve this outcome. Luckily for you, I am putting out this guide with 9+ years of airsofting experience. Follow this guide to achieve the best range and accuracy.
In short, to increase your airsoft gun’s range and accuracy you should:
- use heavier and quality BBs
- clean your barrel for more consistent shots
- invest in a better hop-up bucking, or
- upgrade to an r-hopped barrel p (you are pretty much guaranteed 200 ft range)
- fix potential air leaks in the gearbox cylinder assembly
- stabilize your inner barrel (if it wobbles inside your outer barrel)
- “polish” your inner barrel (the technical term is called barrel lapping)
Let’s start with the most important and easier aspects first to achieve the best airsoft gun range and accuracy for you.
1)Using an Upgraded Barrel & Hop-Up System
The most effective way to get an increase in range is to simply upgrade your barrel and hop-up assembly.
The hop-up assembly has these parts:
- Bucking – this is a rubber tube that has a nub that applies backspin pressure onto the BB, allowing it to go a lot further than without it
- Hop up unit – this is where your bucking is stored and where your adjustments can be made to the amount of pressure on the bucking
- Inner barrel – this is where the BB glides through as it gets shot
Level 1 Range & Accuracy Upgrade (125-150 feet)
Upgrade to a flat hopped bucking and glue a flat nub to your hop-up nub to achieve this type of performance
Level 2 Range & Accuracy Upgrade (150-175 feet)
Complete the level 1 upgrade and also upgrade your inner barrel to a stainless steel barrel. Most airsoft techs agree that 6.02 or 6.03 barrels have the best performance.
Level 3 Range & Accuracy Upgrade (200-250 feet)
For the best laser accuracy setup, you will want to get something called an R-Hop patch installed into the barrel.
This special piece of rubber does wonders because it contours to the exact shape of the BB and meaning it has more contact than a normal setup, thus achieving a better backspin.
However, this installing an r-hop patch is very tedious and difficult to do right.
To knock out all the headache, it’s best to just purchase a barrel that has had one installed by a professional. Here is the upgrade kit that my squad and I recommend.
Here are all the goodies it includes:
- a new ZCI 6.02 stainless steel barrel with an r-hop patch installed inside (be sure to pick the right inner barrel length that matches your weapon)
- a special bucking that has been “flat hopped” (this takes the headache out of doing a modification to your existing bucking)
- a “flat” nub (you will need to disassemble your hop-up unit and glue this piece in, this is the only modification that you will need to do with this kit)
I honestly wish this kit was around when I started airsoft teching, as it would have made things a lot easier.
2)Using the Best Airsoft BB Weight for Greater Range
Without doing any upgrades or modifications, the easiest way to hit targets farther and accurately is to simply use heavier ammo.
Heavier ammo is less affected by wind and light cover such as tree branches and leaves. The only downside to heavy ammo is that it travels slower. For example, when you switch from .20g BBs to .30g BBs you will see a 25-75 FPS drop.
Although this isn’t great, remember that with heavy ammo you can engage targets at further distances. This is why heavy ammo is ideal for outdoor players, where engagements from 100 feet to 200 feet are very common.
For all outdoor players, I would highly recommend using at least a .25g or higher BB weight. Snipers should use .30g ammo or higher, where engagements up to 250 feet may be more common.
Please note that some airsoft guns, magazines, or hop-up units may misfeed with heavier ammo. Please try a few different brands of BBs and a few different weights to see what works best for your setup. Also keep note that some manufacturers sell sample packs of BBs, where you can try a few different kinds of BB weights to see what works best.
Indoor players may find it more effective to use the standard .20g BBs, as CQB play is fast-paced and close up. These rounds are also inexpensive and travel fast to targets.
3) Using Quality Airsoft Ammo for More Accuracy
Besides using heavier ammo, it is important to use HIGH-QUALITY ammo.
Why you may ask? Well, higher quality rounds are more consistent than the cheaper brands. The factory machines that make the higher quality BBs have tighter tolerances in order to make sure each round is as perfect as possible.
If your BBs have more “mistakes” in them, then they will be affected by the wind and air resistance in more different ways, making each round go off-center from your target.
Although cheap ammo is very appealing, it will not give you the results you want. You will struggle to hit targets, so essentially your money will be going to waste.
Also, low-quality ammo is known to cause jams in your hop-up unit and airsoft magazines.
The #1 brand of bb’s that most players swear by is Elite Force. These rounds come pre-polished in order to maximize their effectiveness.
I used to use cheap ammo. However, once I switched over to heavier and more quality rounds, the difference in hitting targets was night and day. I finally started to hit targets that I wouldn’t dream of hitting with my cheaper BB’s.
4) Cleaning your Airsoft Barrel / Hop-Up
It is really important to clean out your airsoft barrel every so often. It is crucial to have a clear path for your BB to travel through if you want to have laser accuracy.
Every little piece of microscopic dirt in your barrel will change the BB’s path. Therefore you should clean your barrel and hop-up using my airsoft barrel cleaning guide.
Ideally, you should do this BEFORE every game day, as your barrel will accumulate dust and debris from sitting out (gun cases will help to prevent this, but you should still clean it anyway).
One important thing you should know is that THE KEY TO ACCURACY IS CONSISTENCY. Please remember that! It will help you on your journey to achieving the perfect airsoft gun accuracy and range.